Obviously, we all want to protect the planet. However, as individuals, many of us just don't know what to do to lessen our contributions to the over-abundance of carbon that is slowly destroying our earth. Here are a few things you can do at home to help protect the environment.
1. Participate in your community's recycling program, or recycle things on your own. The metal in your cans can be melted down and reused. The plastic bags you get at the grocery store should be taken back to where you got them for recycling. If your local store does not offer this service, collect the ones they gave you last time, and have them use them for your new purchases.
2. Once every week, baking soda and vinegar in every drain. There is no reason to use harsh chemicals to clear your drains of grease and other food residues. Spoon about 1/4 cup of baking soda down the pipes, and follow it up with about a half cup of household vinegar. It will unclog the drain without using deadly chemicals. You remember that old volcano trick you learned in grade school? It's still fun to watch.
3. While we are on the subject of vinegar, it can do your windows as well as any commercial preparation. Just fill a spray bottle with a mixture of half vinegar and half water, and wipe those fingerprints and dust off the glass. Use a soft cotton cloth for the job, and you won't be contributing chemical laden paper towels to the local land fill.
4. Don't throw that food away. Okay, it's yucky, but your plants won't care. You can turn it back into good fertile earth by learning how to compost, which is much better for your garden than chemical fertilizers.
5. Do you really need to use paper plates? Regular dishes may be more work, but with a little soap and water, you can use them over and over again. Paper plates are a one use item, and they may enhance a land fill, but they don't do anything for the environment. Not only is the plate in your hand yet more refuse that won't biodegrade for years, but using them only encourages producers to make more of them, which only makes more pollution.
We all can do a lot to help the environment without significantly affecting our lives. Some steps may be a little inconvenient, but none of them are hard work. The fact that you'll save money even makes earth friendly solutions more attractive. The fact that we'll keep the earth healthier by avoiding waste is even more incentive to keep a green house.
Do you have a comment or article about green furnishing? Share it!